Office 365 for Students and Lecturers
As a registered student (including staff members), you can obtain Microsoft Office 365 ProPlus for free. You will need to download the software from the Microsoft portal. In some cases, you can use the pre-installed version on your computer and just log in with your email address and password.
This also gives you access to Microsoft OneDrive for storage. Note you also have access to unlimited storage with Google Drive, which is linked with your HCHE email account.
Below is a summary of the steps:
1. Go to www.office.com and login with your Helderberg College email address and password.
Staff members should contact IT Services, as your account is not automatically activated for Office 365 access.
2. [OPTIONAL: If you already have Microsoft Office 365 installed, we recommend UNINSTALLING it before you install the new one. Click here if you don’t know how to uninstall.]
3. Once you login to office.com, if it is your first time, you will be required to setup password recovery options. As a password recovery option, you can choose either your cell phone, or a set of security questions. Once this is complete, you will be able to access your Office 365 portal, and are able to reset your password (this includes email password resets).
4. DOWNLOADING OFFICE 365: Click the “Install Office” button/link and follow the instructions.
For Apple Mac users, please click the arrow next to the “Install Office” button. This will take you to another menu where you can find Apple Mac options.
5. The initial setup file is a single small file, you must then select this and run it in Windows. This will now start the main installation and download the full Office 365. The download and install takes about 30 to 45 minutes if you are using the Helderberg College internet. It also depends on how fast your computer is.
Once you are finished, you need to login to your Microsoft Office 365 application every few months. If you don’t, it will eventually tell you it is going to expire. Office 365 will continue to run after you leave Helderberg College, though once we close your HCHE Microsoft Office account you will be unable to login and install at a later stage.